Students’ attire should be clean, neat and appropriate for a safe learning environment. No school attire shall provide a distraction from learning. Students who wear inappropriate items to school will be required to change into something appropriate immediately.
- Clothing in which the torso or midriff is exposed is not allowed.
- Spaghetti straps and backless tops and dresses are not appropriate for school. Shirt straps must be a minimum of one inch wide.
- No tank-style underwear shirts are allowed without a shirt on top.
- Low cut tops are not allowed.
- Short dresses and shorts less than fingertips in length (with arms lowered to one’s sides) are not allowed.
- Baggy pants are not permitted. Pants are to be worn at the waist so that no body parts or underwear show. Pants are considered baggy if the pant crotch is lower than fingertip length when arms and fingers are lowered.
- Pocket chains, draped outside the pocket, are not allowed for safety reasons.
- Hats or sweatshirt hoods may not be worn in class or buildings. Hats may be worn outside for sun protection. Cap visors should cover the face. Knit ski caps and head lice have been a problem. No knit ski caps, please.
- Colored hair gel/dye is not appropriate for the elementary school environment.
- No sandals or open-toed shoes are permitted.
- Shoes must have a strap-no clogs or slip-ons
- No heels higher than one inch.
- No Heelies are permitted because of safety issues.
- Appropriate shoes must be worn at all times (appropriate for daily physical education and recess play).
For information on Union School District Board Policy on dress code and grooming click this link:
USD Board Policies - Student Welfare